Monday, July 4, 2011

Pride and Prejudice: Which version?

I want to hear: Which version can you not get enough of? Here's what I think.

The newest version is beautiful. Even David will watch it with me because the cinematography is to die for.

source
Favorite scenes: When Mr. Darcy helps Elizabeth into the carriage after she's been staying at Netherfield and it shows him stretching out his hand because it touched hers.
Also when she tells him off and walks away at a dance...I think it's the part where he asks what he should do to introduce affection and she says, "dancing, even if one's partner is barely tolerable".
I LOVE the scene when she's telling her father how much she loves Mr. Darcy and he's so confused because he thought she hated Mr. Darcy. Then after he gives her permission to marry, he tells her to send any others in to ask for permission to marry, and says "I'm quite at my leisure".
And of course him walking toward her at dawn. Dawn is my favorite time of day- so fresh and new. So quiet. And in this movie, so romantic.

As for the complaints: There are a few. I don't think Mr. Darcy is very attractive in this movie. He's ok, and his hair is kind of weird. He and Elizabeth talk SO fast. LIke they're in a play trying to get it done in a certain amount of time. The responses from them most of the time sound rehearsed and jumpy. It frustrates me every time.
Elizabeth's hair. It's all over the place most of the movie which I don't believe is very piece accurate (among other things but whatever...it's a modern version). The bangs bug.

The A + E Version: My fave.
source
It's long and I love it. I love that mostly nothing is left out. I love Mr. Darcy (Colin Firth IS Mr. Darcy. I guess there's not as many specific things that I love about it, just mostly that it is what I think of when I think of P + P. Mrs. Bennett is perfectly annoying and Mr. Collins is perfectly disgusting. And Mary is perfectly plain. David hates listening to Mrs. Bennett complain about her poor nerves.
Just hearing that intro music makes me giddy.
PS. I can't find mine. Do you have it? I lent it to someone and I don't remember who. Never again...
What I don't like:
Jane is not cute. Jane is supposed to be the beauty of the fam and she's kind of weird.

I have to admit that I've never watched the BBC version. I watched the BBC version of Sense and Sensibility and I really did not enjoy it. Should I check it out? What other Jane Austen variations do you love?

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOSH!! It is like you read my mind - I feel the EXACT same way about the two versions! I love/hate all the same parts of the Kiera Knightly version! Plus I secretly named my child after Colin Firth!

    ReplyDelete