Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Young Victoria + The Duchess

Two more movie suggestions...along the lines of my other England set period faves.

First is an older movie: The Duchess


I like Keira Knightley most of the time. I like her in this movie- maybe it's because she's more of a victim. Not my favorite love story, but entertaining and lovely to watch for sure.


Next is my new favorite: The Young Victoria


I am in love with Emily Blunt. Can I look like her, please? I loved the story, which I knew nothing about before the movie (shame on me). The entire thing was beautiful and I was kind of sad when it was over...it felt short to me. Anyway, it had a great love story that inspired me. I'm going to watch it again tonight :)

Also, how could you not swoon over someone saying this to you?
"You are my whole existence, and I will love you until my very last breath."

Has anyone seen either of these? Or does anyone have more recommendations along these same movie styles?

5 comments:

  1. i really really reallyw ant to watch young victoria. must find someone to borrow it from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love movies like this that take place in this time! Pride and Prejudice (the 6 hour version with Colin Firth), and Sense and Sensibility are two of my very favorite movies. That being said, my sister recommended one recently. It's not really a love story, and quite depressing, really...but I did like it, and I would probably watch it again. It's called Tess of the d'Urbervilles...if you hate, I promise never to recommend another movie again. But it was interesting. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Can't wait to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just watched The Young Victoria. loved it and I too agree that it seemed short. But i read up on her and there is a lot of stuff about her life on wikipedia. I think they should make more movies about her life, like they did with Queen Elizabeth I....when they made the two films; Elizabeth and Elizabeth: The Golden Age.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I'm natalie I'm from england I was
    messing about googling my name and your blog came up it's a really lovely site, I just wanted to suggest that you watch persuasion it's my favourite Austen novel and the most recent adaptation is very good! I'm very lucky I live about an hour away from Bath where a lot these adaptations are filmed they have a Austen festival every year in September if you ever get the chance you should visit you'll been in heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bright Star is a really good period movie and it's on instant watch on Netflix! I share your love for all Austen movies. The Young Victoria was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete