Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Young Victoria + The Duchess

Two more movie suggestions...along the lines of my other England set period faves.

First is an older movie: The Duchess


I like Keira Knightley most of the time. I like her in this movie- maybe it's because she's more of a victim. Not my favorite love story, but entertaining and lovely to watch for sure.


Next is my new favorite: The Young Victoria


I am in love with Emily Blunt. Can I look like her, please? I loved the story, which I knew nothing about before the movie (shame on me). The entire thing was beautiful and I was kind of sad when it was over...it felt short to me. Anyway, it had a great love story that inspired me. I'm going to watch it again tonight :)

Also, how could you not swoon over someone saying this to you?
"You are my whole existence, and I will love you until my very last breath."

Has anyone seen either of these? Or does anyone have more recommendations along these same movie styles?

4 comments:

  1. i really really reallyw ant to watch young victoria. must find someone to borrow it from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love movies like this that take place in this time! Pride and Prejudice (the 6 hour version with Colin Firth), and Sense and Sensibility are two of my very favorite movies. That being said, my sister recommended one recently. It's not really a love story, and quite depressing, really...but I did like it, and I would probably watch it again. It's called Tess of the d'Urbervilles...if you hate, I promise never to recommend another movie again. But it was interesting. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Can't wait to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I'm natalie I'm from england I was
    messing about googling my name and your blog came up it's a really lovely site, I just wanted to suggest that you watch persuasion it's my favourite Austen novel and the most recent adaptation is very good! I'm very lucky I live about an hour away from Bath where a lot these adaptations are filmed they have a Austen festival every year in September if you ever get the chance you should visit you'll been in heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bright Star is a really good period movie and it's on instant watch on Netflix! I share your love for all Austen movies. The Young Victoria was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete