Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Rings

(this is not my ring, but one of my bride's)

I really like funky, vintage jewelry and funky chunky pieces like necklaces that make a simple but bold statement, but I RARELY wear any. Right now the only jewelry I have on is my wedding ring. Most days that is the case. I see stuff I like in stores and on other people but when it's time to buy a piece for myself I always pass it up. Why is that? Maybe I'm just not a jewelry person.

One piece I was sure of was my engagement ring. Yes, I picked it out :) I actually originally found an estate piece in one of our favorite antique shops in the Orange Circle- it was from the 1920's but it was amazingly enough white gold (which is what we were looking for, but apparently pretty rare during that time because most were made of platinum). It was an Edwardian setting similar to my ring now, but it had little triangles of sapphire on either side of the gorgeous diamond. It did look quite huge on my abnormally small hands...but oh, I wanted it. The diamond in it was really bad quality and they wouldn't sell the setting alone to us, so we moved on. We ended up finding something I loved almost as much in LA for a much better price. I adore my ring. It's probably my favorite thing I own.

Six months ago I noticed the diamond made a noise if I pushed on it (don't ask me why I was pushing on it...I have no idea) so we took it in and got it reset. I was informed that sleeping with your ring on can make the diamond come loose. I had no idea! I NEVER took my ring off. I wasn't too worried about the diamond coming loose before either because my diamond is set into the setting and not above. Needless to say, I take my ring off before bed every single night now. The last thing I want to do is lose my diamond!

A lot of people get new rings after they've been married for 25 years or 30 years. I don't see myself EVER replacing this ring. It's timeless and perfect for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment