Monday, April 18, 2011

The Sabbath



Sunday is a special day- a day of relaxation, learning + listening, spending time with family. It's a quiet time. I am not a fan of 'breaking' the sabbath. I like the term 'breaking' because the day is like a clean slate, and if I do something I'm not supposed to, I really picture the slate breaking. There are certain things that I REALLY care about, and this is one of them.

Growing up, my parents were VERY strict about Sunday rules. They became active again in the church when I was about 4 years old, and I think with that activity came true devoutness. What were we allowed to do on Sunday?
Go to church. We were allowed to watch TV- but we couldn't go outside and play with friends. Sometimes we'd go for drives or visit grandparents. It was basically a quiet, relaxing day. (It makes me think of this scripture, one of my faves. Alma 57:21 "Yea, and they did obey and observe to perform every word of command with exactness; yea, and even according to their faith it was done unto them; and I did remember the words which they said unto me that their mothers had taught them."

Once I was a teenager I usually took a nap in the afternoon after church, depending on the time our church was. But I always spent the day with my family- that was my favorite part.

The reason I'm writing this? Moving to Utah has done something to us. We have become relaxed. And I hate it. Everyone struggles with different things. Some people are really good about keeping the sabbath holy, or reading their scriptures, or doing service. Some people have a hard time being modest or keeping their language clean. I used to be so great at so many things, and I feel like those things have faded. So this is me admitting that I need to be better.

"Try a little harder to be a little better." Gordon B. Hinkley

No comments:

Post a Comment